Named in association with "Isabelle" survey station, the station in turn established and named in 1913 by R.D. McCaw, DLS, when making a phototopographic survey along the route of the Banff-Windermere road, according to A.O. Wheeler. The survey was made for the BC government when the transfer of the Kootenay Park was being arranged, and the name "Isabelle" given by McCaw to one of his photographic stations at the request of Mr. W.W. Bell, engineer in charge of construction of the Banff-Windermere Road at the time. Bell had asked McCaw to name a mountain after his wife Isabelle, and while the surveyor couldn't guarantee that a mountain name would be acceptable to the Geographic Board, he complied by so-naming one of his stations after Mrs. Bell.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office