Trincomali Channel

Feature Type:Channel (3) - Narrow stretch of water connecting two bodies of water.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Between Galiano and Saltspring Islands, Cowichan Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 48°55'58''N, 123°30'48''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92B/13
Related Maps: 92B/13
92B/14
92G/4

Origin Notes and History:

"Trincomali Channel (not Trincomalee nor Trincomalie)" adopted in the 10th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 30 June 1911.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

Spelled "Trincomalie" on British Admiralty Chart 579, 1863 et seq. Extends from Prevost Island (west of Active Pass) northwesterly to Pylades Island (off Yellow Point); Thetis, Kuper & Saltspring Islands on the west side; Valdes & Galiano Islands on the east side.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

"Named in 1858 by Captain Richards, after HMS Trincomalee, sailing frigate/24 guns, Captain Wallace Houstoun. Arrived at Valparaiso from England 12 November 1852 and at Esquimalt early in 1853, remaining on the Pacific station until 1856. The frigate, 1066 tons, originally mounted 42 guns, and was built at Bombay in 1819, on the model of the French frigate Leda."

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)