"Named after the British merchant ship Rosedale, Captain Phillips, which ran on this rock at 2 a.m. 12 December 1862, on her voyage from London to Victoria. The ship got off without assistance, but to prevent her from sinking was beached the same morning in Ross Bay. Several vessels were afterwards engaged in her relief... (Victoria Colonist 23 May 1863). A buoy was placed on this rock in 1900."
Source: Walbran, John T; "British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: Their Origin and History"; published for the Geographic Board of Canada, Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)