Cunningham Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Just N of Denny Island, N of Bella Bella, Range 3 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 52°13'18''N, 127°58'52''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 93D/4
Related Maps: 103A/1
103A/8
93D/4
93D/5

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 5 May 1926 as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 1923B, 1874 et seq. Originally approved in the 1930 B.C. Gazetteer. Confirmed14 June 1946 on 103SE, 13 March 1947 on 93SW and 2 July1953 on 93D. Named by Captain Pender of the "Beaver", circa 1866, after Thomas Cunningham, an early B.C. settler,who purchased Vancouver Coal Company's general store in1864. He was chief fruit inspector for B. C. in 1906. (Place Names of the Pacific Northwest Coast, 1969.)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Originally approved in the 1930 B.C. Gazetteer. Confirmed 14 June 1946 on 103SE, 13 March 1947 on 93SW and 2 July1953 on 93D. Named by Captain Pender of the "Beaver", circa 1866, after Thomas Cunningham, an early B.C. settler, who purchased Vancouver Coal Company's general store in 1864. He was chief fruit inspector for B.C. in 1906. (Place Names of the Pacific Northwest Coast, 1969.)

Source: Canadian Geographical Names Database, Ottawa

Named c1866 by Captan Pender, after Thomas Cunningham, native of the province of Ulster, Ireland; emigrated to Canada in 1853; came to Victoria in July 1859.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office