Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Dallas (settlement) adopted 15 January 1971 on 92I/9, as identified in Department of Education school lists, and identified on road signs (1962 or earlier); unincorporated, located 7 miles east of Kamloops, since amalgamated within Kamloops municipal boundary. Form of name changed to Dallas (community) 24 August 1978 on 92I/NE.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
This Dallas bears the name of Alexander Grant Dallas, son-in-law of Governor Douglas and at one time Hudson Bay Company agent at Victoria. From 1862 until 1864 Dallas was the Hudson Bay Company's governor at Fort Garry. He subsequently moved to London where he became an advisory director of the Company. He died in 1882.
Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; 1001 British Columbia Place Names; Discovery Press, Vancouver 1969, 1970, 1973.