Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Adopted 26 November 1979 on 92 G/6, as listed in numerous Directories dating from the 1920's.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Named by John Fitzgerald Mahon ( - 1942) of Vancouver and London, who subdivided land here in 1913, after his brother-in-laws' courtesy title, Earl of Altamont, the eldest son of the Marquess of Sligo (Irish peer), and brother of his wife, Lady Alice Mahon.
Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions