Toad River

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: SW of junction of Racing and Toad Rivers, W of Fort Nelson, Peace River Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 58°51'00''N, 125°14'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 94K/14
Related Maps: 94K
94K/14

Origin Notes and History:

Toad River (settlement) adopted 2 July 1953 on 94K. Form of name changed to Toad River (locality) 29 November 1984 on Ottawa file 203-2. Named in association with Toad River.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Toad's River Post, at the mouth of Toad River, was established as a Hudson's Bay Company trading post in 1867 - Alexander McKenzie, clerk; William Brass, postmaster 1868-1869; William Irvine, postmaster 1876-1878. The post was noted as abandoned in Canadian Geological Survey of Canada's Annual Report, Vol IX, 1890, Part D. In 1896 R. H. Hall visited and described the site (plan of buildings, in ruins, held by HBC Archives, Winnipeg; accession E27/1 fo.56.) [17 December 1992 letter (file T.1.52) from Hudson's Bay Company Archives containing a list of Toad's River Post managers and HBCA references & accession numbers.]

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office