Sicamous

Feature Type:District Municipality (1) - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a district municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: SE end Shuswap Lake, Kamloops Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°50'10''N, 118°58'48''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82L/15
Related Maps: 82L/14
82L/15

Origin Notes and History:

Sicamous (Post Office & Station) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, as labelled on CPR map of 1886, and on BC Lands' map 1EM, 1915, etc; confirmed 2 June 1931 on 82L/NW. Identified as Sicamous (Post Office) in the 1953 BC Gazetteer. Sicamous (Post Office, Station & Steamer Landing) confirmed 29 April 1965 on 82L/NE. Form of name changed to Sicamous (Community) 28 February 1983 on 82L/15. Incorporated as a District Municipality 4 December 1989 called District of Sicamous. Sicamous (District Municipality) confirmed 4 October 1990 on 82L/15 and 82L/14.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Sicamous Post Office was opened 1 November 1887, named in association with Schikmouse, Schickmous or Shick-a-mows Narrows (as labelled on Moberley's 1866 map, and on Trutch's 1871 map, and as identified in Dawson's 1877 report, respectively).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"River circling mountains" (information from Isaac Harris, published in Vernon News, 18 July 1918)

Source: included with note