Shuswap

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Shuswap Creek, N. of Windermere Lake, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°31'59"N, 116°01'03"W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: WGS84
NTS Map: 82K/9

Origin Notes and History:

Shuswap (settlement) adopted 4 November 1954 on Columbia River Basin manuscript 48 as an established local name. Form of name changed to Shuswap (locality) 29 November 1984 on Ottawa file file 203-2.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

A village site of the Interior Salish band which inhabit the south central interior, their name anglicized by early fur traders as She Whaps, Shoo-Schwawps, then Shuswaps. The preferred modern spelling was Suxwa'pmux, now spelled Secwepemc, pronounced seWEP-mek].

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The Secwepemc name for this village site is Kenpesq't

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"The first whites who reached the country from the south named the tribe Shuswap, Shuswap or Shouswhap. This term is a corruption of Suxwa´pmux or Sexwa´pmux, the name they apply to themselves, and by which they are known to all the neighbouring tribes of the interior Salish stock, to which they belong." (citing James Teit, Jesup North Pacific Expedition 1897-1902, vol 2, Pt VII, pp 449-50; published by Leiden, New York, 1908.)

Source: Provincial Archives' Place Names File (the "Harvey File") compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions