Old Fort Nelson

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side of Fort Nelson River opposite mouth of Muskwa River, Peace River Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 58°49'26''N, 122°32'33''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 94J/15

Origin Notes and History:

Fort Nelson (settlement) was adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, identified as a Hudson's Bay Company Trading Post. Name changed to Old Fort Nelson (settlement) 7 November 1951 on 94J/15, when Fort Nelson Post Office was relocated about 6 miles west to 58 48 x 122 42.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The original location of Fort Nelson is no longer the focal point for trade in the area and is largely abandoned. It is now primarily an Indian settlement, referred to locally as "The Old Fort".

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office