Dome Creek

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side Fraser River between Crescent Spur and Penny (communities), E of Prince George, Cariboo Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 53°45'00''N, 121°02'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 93H/11
Related Maps: 93H/11
93H/14

Origin Notes and History:

Dome Creek (Post Office) adopted 4 September 1958 on 93 H/11, as labelled on BC map 3G, 1919 et seq, and as identified in the 1953 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Dome Creek (Community) 15 December 1982 on 93 H/11.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Dome Creek Post Office was opened 1 May 1916, J.O. Kendall postmaster; closed 31 January 1936; re-opened 6 September 1937.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named in association with Dome Mountain or "The Dome", in turn named by Arthur Coleman, a geology professor at the University of Toronto. Dome Creek may have reached a population peak of 2,000 during construction of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway's "Second Crossing" bridge over the Fraser River just west of the community. The population in 1921 is recorded at one hundred and fifty.... ("Postscript '90: 75 Years of Postal History in the Fraser-Fort George Region", Fraser-Fort George Museum Society, 1990.)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office