Camborne

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E. side of Incomappleux River, NE. of Upper Arrow Lake, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°47'00''N, 117°38'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82K/13

Origin Notes and History:

Camborne (Settlement) adopted 9 June 1960 on 82K, as labelled on Geological sruvey sheet 19A, Lardeau, 1911, and on BC map 1EM, 1915; form of name changed to Camborne (Locality) 18 October 1979 on 82K/13, as recommended by Regional District; the original settlement is virtually abandoned.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Camborne Post Office opened 1 May 1902 at Lot 1, Blk 7, Camborne Townsite; closed 30 September 1914. Camborne Post Office was re-opened 16 August 1935 at Lot 4, Blk 3, DL 3505 (Plan 728), on the south side of Pool Creek; closed 31 December 1936. Population: 72 at 1956 Census.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Camborne Townsite" named after Camborne in Cornwall, England, or refers to Camborne's School of Mines, the eminent mining school in England. Possibly named by Cory Menhinick, a tinworker or mining engineer who prospected in this area (and who had arrived in this area by way of Elwood, Indiana, the site of the largest tinplate operation in North America). (information provided July 1999 by historian Martin Lynch, Kaslo).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office