Okanagan Mission

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: S side City of Kelowna, Osoyoos Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°49'00''N, 119°29'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82E/14
Related Maps: 82E/13
82E/14

Origin Notes and History:

Okanagan Mission (Post Office, settlement) was adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Okanagan Mission (town) 6 October 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 420A, Kettle River. Identified as Okanagan Mission (Post Office) in the 1953 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Okanagan Mission (community) 28 February 1983 on 82E/14. See Okanagan Lake for name origin information.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Okanagan Mission was established on the site in 1860 by Father Pierce Richard, Father Charles Pondosy and Brother Surel. Okanagon Mission Post was opened at Mission Creek 1 October 1872; Eli Lequime, postmaster. Spelling changed to Okanagan Mission Post Office in 1905; relocated 1 August 1906, James H. Baillie, postmaster.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office