Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Okanagan Falls (Post Office) adopted 6 October 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 420A, Kettle River. Form of name changed to Okanagan Falls (Community) 28 February 1983 on 82E/5. See Okanagan Lake for name origin information.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
"(Dogtown), at south end of Skaha (Dog) Lake, 12 miles south of Penticton. Subdivision plan registered by Okanagan Falls Townsite Co., October 13, 1893. Okanagan Falls Post Office was opened 1 February 1899; John McLellan, PM." (12th Report of the Okaanagan Historical Society, 1948)