Port Coquitlam

Feature Type:City - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a city municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N side Fraser River, between Coquitlam and Pitt Rivers, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°15'43''N, 122°46'49''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92G/7
Related Maps: 92G/2
92G/7

Origin Notes and History:

Incorporated as a City municipality 7 March 1913; Port Coquitlam (City) confirmed in the 17th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1922, as labelled on BC map 2B, 1914. Re-confirmed 11 February 1936 on 92G/2.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Coquitlam Post Office was opened 1 March 1881; renamed Port Coquitlam Post Office 1 July 1913. The railway station here was labelled "Westminster Junction" on Dominion Sectional sheet #10, Port Moody, 1913. See also the municipality's own website.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The name Coquitlam is that of a Salish tribe in the [area] speaking the Cowichan dialect.

Source: 17th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1921 (supplement to the Annual Report of the Dept of the Interior, 1922, Ottawa)

The name Coquitlam is of Indian origin and signifies a "small red salmon".

Source: Nelson, Denys; Place Names of the Delta of the Fraser River; 1927, unpublished manuscript held in the Provincial Archives