Established by Order in Council 532/56. Redescribed per OIC 1183/89. Conversion of OIC to Statute designation per Bill 17-2000: Protected Areas of British Columbia Act, 29 June 2000; the whole containing 20.5 ha. more or less. Redescribed per Bill 84-2003: Parks and Protected Areas Statutes Amendment Act, 26 November 2003, the whole still containing 20.5 ha. more or less. Boundary redescribed per Bill 5: Protected Areas of British Columbia Amendment Act, 16 March 2013, the whole now containing approximately 16 ha.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
"Indian word meaning 'at the head of the lake' (Ok 3: 18-19) or 'creek which loses itself in the lake' (Albert Millar)." (12th Report of the Okanagan Historical Society, 1948, citing their 3rd Report and advice from resident Millar, respectively)