Tahsis Mountain
Feature Type:Mountain - Mass of land prominently elevated above the surrounding terrain, bounded by steep slopes and rising to a summit and/or peaks.
Status: Official
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side of Tahsis Inlet Kyuquot Sound, below Tahsis (municipality), Nootka Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°50'45"N, 126°36'40"W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: WGS84
NTS Map: 92E/15
Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 27July 1946 as a new name submitted by a Field Topographer. Named in association with Tahsis (Post Office), Tahsis River, and Tahsis 11 IR.

Source: BC place name cards & correspondence, and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.

The name Tahsis is a modification on a Nuu-chah-nulth First Nation word meaning “way” or “passage,” and refers to an ancient but important trade route across Vancouver Island that led up the Tahsis River to Woss Lake and Nimpkish Lake. Another trail across the island (one that Ly Philip Hankin and Dr Charles Wood of HMS Hecate took in 1862) led from Tahsis Inlet to Kyuquot Sound up the Tahsis River and overland to Nimpkish Lake. Several versions of the name are recorded, including Tah-cease and Tashees. In the late 18th century, the head of Tahsis Inlet was the site on an important Mowachaht First Nation winter village. Chief Maquinna entertained Captain George Vancouver and Juan Francisco de la Bodega y Quadra in lavish fashion there in 1792. Today’s village of Tahsis was founded in 1945, when the Gibson brothers built a sawmill. It has been a sawmill community ever since and was not connected by the road to rest of Vancouver Island until 1972. Tahsis Inlet was originally name Tasis Canal in 1938 and to it current form in 1947. Tahsish Inlet formerly known as Tahsish Arm. Tahsish Lake and Tahsis Mountain are also named after the respective rivers.

Source: Scott, Andrew; "The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names"; Harbour Publishing, Madeira Park, 2009.