Tahltan

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N. side of Stikine River at mouth of Tahltan River, Cassiar Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 58°01'00''N, 131°00'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 104J/2
Related Maps: 104J
104J/2

Origin Notes and History:

Tahltan (settlement) adopted 14 August 1952 on 104J, as labelled on BC map 1H, 1917. Form of name changed to Tahltan (locality) 29 November 1984 (Ottawa file 203-2).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"An old Indian village which embraces a number of dwellings and a church. It is now largely uninhabited at certain seasons. This is an Indian reservation."

Source: Canadian Geographical Names Database, Ottawa

"After the Cassiar gold excitement in 1874, the Tahltan tribe built a substantial log village on a level space upward of a mile and a half from the junction of the Tahltan with the Stikine, which is generally known as Tahltan, though its native name is Goon-tdar-shaga ( 'where the spring water stops' ). The only other native settlement is at Telegraph Creek, where a number of small log houses have been built to keep pace with the growth of the white settlement."

Source: Handbook of Indians of Canada, published as an Appendix to the 10th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 1912.