Durieu

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N end of Hatzic Prairie, just E of Mission (District Municipality), New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°13'14''N, 122°14'31''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92G/1

Origin Notes and History:

Durieu (settlement) adopted 12 December 1939 on 92G/1, as labelled on BC map 2B, 1914. Form of name changed to Durieu (community) in keeping with c1985 mapping standards and conventions.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Hatzic Prairie Post Office was opened 1 April 1889; renamed Durieu Post Office 1 March 1910; closed 31 December 1942; at time of closing, the post office was situated on NW 1/4, Sec 13, Tp 18, ECM.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named after Pierre-Paul Durieu, OMI (1830-1899), missionary and later the Bishop of New Westminster. Durieu was born and ordained in France; sent to the Oregon Missions in 1855, later to Victoria, then to the mainland (still the colony of British Columbia), and later still to Fort Rupert as superior of the mission there; appointed in 1875 as Coadjutor Bishop in British Columbia; succeeded Louis-Joseph D'Herbomez in June 1890 as Vicar-Apostolic of British Columbia and Bishop of the Diocese of New Westminster, and served in that capacity until his death in 1899.

Source: Nelson, Denys; Place Names of the Delta of the Fraser River; 1927, unpublished manuscript held in the Provincial Archives