McDame

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: S. of Good Hope Lake, Cassiar Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 59°11'00''N, 129°14'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 104P/3
Related Maps: 104P
104P/3

Origin Notes and History:

McDame (settlement) adopted 1 June 1937 on Geological Survey sheet 381A, Eagle-McDame, as labelled on BC map 1H, 1917. Confirmed 21 December 1944 on 104/NE. Form of name changed to McDame (locality) 6 June 1950 on 104P.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

See McDame Creek for origin information. McDame Post or McDames Creek Post was located on Dease River at the mouth of McDame Creek. Purchased by the Hudson's Bay Company in 1875 from Robert Sylvester; closed in 1943. The locality is no longer inhabited year-round according to a 1960 field check. "McDame is a well-known name in the area and should be retained for mapping purposes." (May 1974 advice from BC Mines Department).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office