Port Kells

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: S of Barnston Island at NE end of Surrey, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°10'00''N, 122°42'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92G/2

Origin Notes and History:

Port Kells (settlement) adopted 11 February 1936 (92 G/2). Form of name changed to Port Kells (ommunity) 29 November 1984 (Ottawa file 203-2).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

After Henry and Mary Anne Kells, who had purchased property adjacent to Holt Road and the then New Westminster Southern Railroad in June 1887; they sold in 1889 and established their home about 1 1/2 miles north on the east side of Latimer Road just north of the old telegraph trail. Built a general store, and Port Kells PO opened there 1 October 1891, Henry Kells, PM. (excerpts from "A brief History of Port Kells" by Kathleen L. Kells)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The townsite was laid out in 1890....

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; British Columbia Place Names; Sono Nis Press, Victoria 1986 /or University of British Columbia Press 1997