Established by Order in Council 1293, 11 May 1961. Area expanded per OIC 1306 & OIC 1307, both 2 November 1995, the whole containing 398 ha. more or less. Conversion of OIC to Statute designation and area expanded per Bill 29: Park Amendment Act 1997, 23 July 1997, the whole now containing approximately 727 hectares (662 hectares of upland and 65 hectares of foreshore).
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office