Hutton

Feature Type:Railway Point - A named railway siding, junction, flag stop or timing point with or without an agent.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: On CNR between Sinclair Mills and Longworth, E of Prince George, Cariboo Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 53°59'00''N, 121°37'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 93H/13

Origin Notes and History:

Hutton Mills (Post Office) identified in the 1953 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Hutton (station) 5 October 1960 on 93H/13. Form of name confirmed as Hutton (railway point) 15 July 1983.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Hutton Mills Post Office was opened 1 November 1917, postmaster W.A. Willits; closed 23 March 1929; re-opened 27 September 1937; closed 30 September 1959.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Named by Sir Alfred Smithers, chairman of the board of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway, although his reason for choosing the name is unknown. The GTPR built a station here in 1914. As the name suggests, Hutton Mills was a timber town; it was a tie camp for the railway as early as 1912 or 1913. The main industry was the sawmill and planing mill owned by the United Grain Growers Co-operative which produced lumber for grain elevators on the Prairies. In April of 1919, the first school opened in Hutton Mills with Mr. S. Oswald Harries as teacher and 31 students, mostly children of mill workers. This school suffered from a quick turnover of teachers which may have been a sign of the transient nature of the population. During the 1920s the residents of Hutton Mills benefited from the services of a hospital (headed by Dr. Lashly), a laundry and a bakery. Although the population fluctuated greatly, Hutton was a substantial community in the 1920s, with a population of 800 to 1000 at its peak. A fire destroyed Hutton Mills around 1926, causing most of its population to leave, but a few families remained to farm. The planer continued to run and a smaller, portable sawmill was in use. One enterprise that kept Hutton Mills going through World War II was turning birch trees into plywood for "Mosquito" warplanes." (from "Postscript ' 90" published by the Fraser-Fort George Regional Museum Society, 1990.)

Source: included with note