Dunster

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side of Fraser River between Valemount and McBride, Cariboo Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 53°07'27''N, 119°50'16''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 83E/4

Origin Notes and History:

Dunster (Post Office and Station) adopted 23 May 1963 on 83E/4, as labelled on BC map 3H, 1919. Form of name changed to Dunster (community) 31 December 1982.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Dunster Post Office was opened 1 December 1915, named after a village in England.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The station was constructed in 1913, and named Dunster by a Grand Trunk Pacific Railway inspector after his hometown in England. The Dunster post office began in December 1915 in the house of the first postmaster, George Hall. In 1921 Mrs. A. McDonald took over the post office, moving it into the log building constructed by her husband, Alec McDonald, opposite the railway station.... (Postscript ' 90, published by Fraser-Fort George Museum Society, 1990.)

Source: included with note