Texada Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side Strait of Georgia, S of Powell River (city), Texada Island Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°39'09''N, 124°23'27''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92F/9
Related Maps: 92F/10
92F/15
92F/8
92F/9

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 27 April 1945 on C.3591, as labelled on British Admiralty chart 580, 1862 et seq.

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)

Named in 1791 by Jose Maria Narvaez, in command of the small exploring vessel "Santa Saturnina", one of Lieutenant Commander Eliza's two vessels. Spelt on the old Spanish charts of Eliza (1791) and Galiano (1792) as "Texada", but mentioned by Captain Vancouver under the name of "Favada" in 1792.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The Spanish navigator Eliza on his chart of 1791 shows "Isla de Texada". He had named the island after Felix de Tejada (or Texada), a Spanish rear-admiral.

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; 1001 British Columbia Place Names; Discovery Press, Vancouver 1969, 1970, 1973.