Deserted Bay

Feature Type:Bay - Water area in an indentation of the shoreline of a sea, lake, or large river.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NE end of Princess Royal Reach, Jervis Inlet, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°05'29''N, 123°46'13''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92J/4

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 31 July 1945 on C.3589, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 579, 1863 et seq.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named in 1860 by Captain Richards, RN, while conducting surveys in these waters, referring to a Sechelt village or seasonal camp on the south shore.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

A part of Indians once landed here and were attacked by grizzly bears; four were killed before they could get back to their canoes. Thereafter the place was avoided by the Indians and came to be known as the deserted bay. Prior to the encounter with the grizzlies, the native name was Tsuahdie, "place to shelter."

Source: Provincial Archives' Place Names File (the "Harvey File") compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions