San Josef Mountain

Feature Type:Mountain - Mass of land prominently elevated above the surrounding terrain, bounded by steep slopes and rising to a summit and/or peaks.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: S side of Estero Basin Frederick Arm, W of entrance to Bute Inlet, N of Campbell River (city), Range 1 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°29'44''N, 125°12'32''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92K/6

Origin Notes and History:

San Josef Mountain adopted 21 January 1976 on 92K/6, not "Mount San Josef" as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 580, 1867 et seq, and as listed in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Elevation of 4,200 feet.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Named c1864 by Captain Pender, RN, after the line-of-battle ship San Josef, 112 guns, 2,457 tons, captured from the Spaniards by Commodore Nelson, afterwards Lord Nelson, at the battle of St.Vincent, February 14, 1797, at the same time as the line-of-battle ship San Nicolas, 84 guns, Nelson boarding the San Josef from the latter. Brenton in his Naval History, vol 1, p. 35, states: "The San Josef was long admired in the British navy, uniting all the superior qualities of a ship of the line with the sailing of the fastest frigate; her lower deck ports were higher with all her sea-stores in than was ever known in any other ship of the line; and she could carry her guns run-out when few British ships would have ventured to open a port; she stowed 600 tons of water, and we had nothing that could be compared to her as a ship of war." At the battle of St. Vincent, the San Josef carried the flag of Don Fransicso Xavier Winthuysen, chef d'escadre (Rear Admiral), who was below, dying of his wounds, when Nelson boarded her. Eliza, in 1791, named Departure Bay and Nanaimo Harbour after this Spanish naval officer, Bocas de Winthuysen..."

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)