Defence Islands

Feature Type:Islands - Land area surrounded by water or marsh. Plural of Island.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: 2 small islands NE of Anvil Island in Howe Sound, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°34'42''N, 123°17'06''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92G/11

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 4 October 1945 on C.3579, as labelled on early British Admiralty Charts (title/dates not cited), and on BC map 2B, 1914.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Named c1860 by Captain Richards, RN, after HMS Defence, 74 guns, under Captain James Gambier, engaged in Earl Howe's victory of "the Glorious First of June" 1794, when the Defence had the distinguished honour of first passing though the enemy's line... After serving at the Nile, at Trafalgar and in the Baltic she was driven ashore on the coast of Jutland by a terrific gale, 23 December 1811, and all of her 600 men perished but five."

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)