St. Leon Hot Springs

Feature Type:Hotsprings / Hot Springs - Site of a natural flow of hot or warm water issuing from the ground. Plural of Hotspring / Hot Spring.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: S bank of St. Leon Creek, N of Nakusp on the E side of Upper Arrow Lake, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°26'01''N, 117°50'53''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82K/5

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 1 September 1960 on 82K. Coordinates adjusted 2 March 1951 on 82K/5.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

St. Leon Hot Springs were first taken up by M.M. Grady of Revelstoke, in 1894. He replaced the first little humble hotel by a handsome big one in 1901. It soon drew a splendid patronage from all over the Kootenays. In the first hard year of the war, Mr. Grady had reluctantly closed the hotel and disconnected the hot-water flow. Not to be denied, Revelstokers begged him to plan a portion of this 320 acres as a townsite where they could erect cottages or camp tents of their own. He did this in 1918, and in a little while 10 nice cottages were built, while others bought lots to camp and later build on.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"An early hunter and trapper in this area had relatives living in St. Pol de Leon, Finistère, France. The hot springs themselves were discovered by Michael Grady, a young prospector from Ontario, who built a lodge on the site in 1906. Grady went bankrupt in World War 1, but never left the place until he had grown too old to look after himself."

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; British Columbia Place Names; Sono Nis Press, Victoria 1986 /or University of British Columbia Press 1997