Heffley Creek

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side of North Thompson River, N of Kamloops, Kamloops Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°51'26''N, 120°16'29''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92I/16
Related Maps: 92I
92I/16

Origin Notes and History:

Heffley Creek (Post Office) identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Confirmed 2 March 1950 on 92I. Form of name changed to Heffley Creek (community) 14 January 1983 on 92I/16.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office staff.

The railway station was named Heffley, the post office (opened 1 June 1905) was named Heffley Creek; named after Adam P. Heffley, long time rancher in this vicinity.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office staff.