Fisher Channel

Feature Type:Channel (3) - Narrow stretch of water connecting two bodies of water.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E of Hunter and Denny Islands, W of King Island, Range 3 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 52°05'09''N, 127°53'16''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 93D/4

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 4 May 1925 for Chart#320 (Ottawa file OBF 0922).

Source: BC place name cards, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.

Named in 1793 by Captain Vancouver after his much respected friend, the Rev. John Fisher, D.D., vicar of Stowey; born at Hampton, 1748; consecrated Bishop of Exeter in 1797, and translated to Salisbury in 1807 on the death of Bishop Douglas, where he won general respect and affection by his faithful and unobtrusive performance of his episcopal duties. His mode of life was dignified, but unostentatious. Died in London, May 8, 1825.

Source: Walbran, John T; "British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: Their Origin and History"; published for the Geographic Board of Canada, Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)