East Kelowna

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: S side of Mission Creek, in Kelowna, Osoyoos Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°51'45''N, 119°25'30''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82E/14

Origin Notes and History:

East Kelowna (Post Office) adopted 6 October 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 420A, Kettle River, as labelled on BC Lands' map 1EM, 1915, and as identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to East Kelowna (community) 31 December 1982. See Kelowna for name origin information.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

East Kelowna Post Office was opened 1 November 1909; closed 26 April 1926; re-opened 16 May 1928.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office