Fauquier

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side of The Needles, Lower Arrow Lake, between Nakusp and Castlegar, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°52'15''N, 118°04'15''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82E/16

Origin Notes and History:

Fauquier (Post Office & Steamer Landing) adopted 1 January 1953 on Columbia River Basin manuscript #15, as labelled on BC Lands map 1EM, 1915. Form of name changed to Fauquier (Community) 31 December 1982 on 82E/16.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Fauquier Post Office was opened 11 June 1913, named after F.G. Fauquier, gold commissioner for Arrow Lakes Mining Division about 1885.

Source: BC place name cards, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.

"Named after F.G. Fauquier, pioneer rancher and fruit grower, son of Bishop Fauquier of Algoma [Sault St. Marie, Ontario.] In the 1890's served as government agent, mining recorder, customs officer and first policeman at Nakusp."

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; 1001 British Columbia Place Names; Discovery Press, Vancouver 1969, 1970, 1973.