Farmington

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: SW of junction of Coal Creek and Kiskatinaw River, NW of Dawson Creek (city), Peace River Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 55°54'15''N, 120°30'20''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 93P/15
Related Maps: 93P/15
93P/16

Origin Notes and History:

Farmington (Post Office) adopted 5 May 1949. Form of name changed to Farmington (community) 31 December 1982 on 93P/15 and 93P/16.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Farmington Post Office was opened 3 July 1935, Mary Trail, postmistress; closed 10 July 1945 then re-opened 9 October 1945 (at the time of temporary closing, the post office was situated on SW 1/4, Sec 6, Tp 80, R 16 - subsequent location(s) not recorded.)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office