Lower Post

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Near junction of Dease and Liard Rivers, Cassiar Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 59°56'00''N, 128°30'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 104P/16
Related Maps: 104P/15
104P/16

Origin Notes and History:

Lower Post (Trading Post) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Confirmed 21 December 1944 on 104NE. Form of name changed to Lower Post (Settlement) 9 June 1948 on 104P/16 and 104P/15. Form of name changed to Lower Post (Post Office) 6 June 1950 on 104P. Form of name changed to Lower Post (Locality) in the 1977 Supplement to the Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Lower Post (Community) 31 January 1983 on 104P/16 and 104P/15.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The trading post had also been known as "Liard Post"

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The original "lower post" was about half a mile from the mouth of the Dease River. The upper post was upstream on Dease Lake.

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; 1001 British Columbia Place Names; Discovery Press, Vancouver 1969, 1970, 1973.