Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
"Falkland (Post Office) identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, as labelled on BC Lands' map 1EM, 1915. Confirmed 3 November 1932 on 82L/NW. Form of name changed to Falkland (community) 31 December 1982 on 82 L/12 & 82 L/5.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Falkland Post Office was opened 1 January 1898, William Bell postmaster. Renamed by the post office department as Slahaltkan Post Office 1 July 1906 and W.G. Simpson appointed postmaster; changed back to Falkland Post Office 1 October 1912.
Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.
After Falkland George Edgeworth Warren (1834-1908), colonel, RHA, retired c1888 after service in Canada, India, Malta and Cyprus; came here 1893; lived here and at Vancouver; died at Vancouver 19 March 1907; obituary in Vancouver Province newspaper 20 March 1908, p.11.
Source: Provincial Archives' Place Names File (the "Harvey File") compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions
Originally known by the Indian name of "Slahalchion," this little settlement was renamed in compliment to Colonel Falkland G.E. Warren, RHA, CMG, CB, who had been a good friend to the settlers.
Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; 1001 British Columbia Place Names; Discovery Press, Vancouver 1969, 1970, 1973.