Mount Carson

Feature Type:Mount - Variation of Mountain: Mass of land prominently elevated above the surrounding terrain, bounded by steep slopes and rising to a summit and/or peaks. ["Mount" preceding the name usually indicates that the feature is named after a person.]
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: SW side of Pavilion Mountain, E side of Fraser River between Lillooet and Clinton, Lillooet Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°57'51''N, 121°43'26''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92I/13

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 27 October 1965 on 92I/13 - this is a subsidiary peak on the Pavilion Mountain massif.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The name "Mount Carson" was originally (and incorrectly) applied 1 August 1957 to the landmass at 50º 59' - 121º 41', the feature well-known locally as Pavilion Mountain. Pavilion Mountain adopted in that location 27 October 1965 on 92I/13, and the name Mount Carson re-positioned to a mountain 1-1/2 miles to the southwest at 50º 58' - 121º 43'.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

After the Robert Carson family, well-known pioneering ranchers, who homesteaded in this area before 1890. The Diamond-S Ranch now encompasses the original Carson property. This vicinity is called "Carson's Kingdom" in Bruce Hutchinson's c1968 book, The Fraser.)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office