Canoe

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NE side of Salmon Arm (city), Kamloops Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°45'00''N, 119°14'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82L/14
Related Maps: 82L/11
82L/14

Origin Notes and History:

Canoe (Post Office) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, as labelled on BC map 1EM, 1915. Form of name changed to Canoe (Post Office & Station) 3 November 1932 on 82L/NW. Form of name changed to Canoe (Community) 15 December 1982 on 82L/14.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Canoe Post Office opened 1 September 1909.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The Indians found the beach at Canoe Creek a very good landing place for their canoes. Once there were a great many dugout canoes coming and going on Shuswap Lake. There are none now.

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; British Columbia Place Names; Sono Nis Press, Victoria 1986 /or University of British Columbia Press 1997