Jedediah Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: In Sabine Channel, E of Lasqueti Island, Nanaimo Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°29'53''N, 124°12'05''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92F/8
Related Maps: 92F/8
92F/9

Origin Notes and History:

"Jedidiah Island" adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, as spelled on British Admiralty Chart 579, 1872 et seq, and on BC map 2A, 1913. Confirmed 28 July 1945 on C.3579. Form of name changed to Jedediah Island 2 November 1950 on 92F, as ascertained from family papers. Confirmed 11 December 1952 on 92F/8.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named in 1860 by Capt. Richards, RN, after Jedediah Stevens Tucker, eldest son of Earl St. Vincent's secretary, Benjamin Tucker. Tucker, Sr. had served the Earl both on shore and afloat for many years, and from his father's notes and papers Jedediah Tucker wrote a most interesting 2-volume biography of the Earl in 1844, "Life of Earl St. Vincent". Richards also named Tucker Bay on adjacent Lasqueti Island after the father, Benjamin Tucker.

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)