Lennard Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: SW end of Templar Channel, just S of Tofino, Clayoquot Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°06'40''N, 125°55'21''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92F/4

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 3 April 1934 on C.327, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 584, 1866 et seq.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Named in 1861 by Captain Richards, RN, after Charles Edward Barrett-Lennard (1835-1874), late lieutenant, 5th Dragoon Guards.... Mr. Lennard, in 1860, made an interesting voyage, in his cutter yacht Templar, around Vancouver Island, in company with a friend, Captain N. Fitz Stubbs, who had come out from England a short time before, in the ship Athelstan, with Lennard. An account of this cruise was published in 1862 (Travels in British Columbia, including a yacht voyage round Vancouver Island) and in relating his visit to Nootka, Mr. Lennard mentions that he found the Indians preserved a tradition of the visit of white men in a King George ship many years before, and that a chief on being injured [while' getting on board the ship had his wound dressed by the surgeon. This occurred on board Meares' vessel Felice, in Friendly Cove in the summer of 1788. (Meares, vol 4, p.257). Lennard confuses the incident with Cook's voyage."

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)