Atchelitz

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N of Vedder River, SW of Chilliwack, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°07'00''N, 122°01'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92G/1

Origin Notes and History:

Atchelitz (Post Office) adopted 12 December 1939 on 92 G/1, as labelled on BC map 2B, 1914; identified as Atchelitz (settlement) in the 1666 BC Gazetteer; subsequently changed to Atchelitz (Community).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Atchelitz Post Office opened 1 December 1912, P.G. Barr, postmaster; closed 31 August 1946. At the time of closing, the Post Office was situated on SE 1/4, Sec 14, Tp 23.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

An Indian word meaning "bay" or "inlet"; spelled "Atchletch" in BC Journal, 1891, p.liii;

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Atchelits is village no. 3 in the Chilliwak [sic] tribe of the Salish stock inhabiting the lower Fraser valley. It had a population of 4 in 1911.

Source: Nelson, Denys; Place Names of the Delta of the Fraser River; 1927, unpublished manuscript held in the Provincial Archives