BC Geographical Names

Name Details:

Name: Golden Ears Park
Feature TypeClick here for a list of
Feature Types.
:
Provincial Park - Legally defined land area, under provincial jurisdiction, for camping, outdoor recreation, and preservation of wildlife
StatusClick here for an explanation of Status.: Official
Relative Location: Between Pitt and Stave Rivers, S of Garibaldi Provincial Park, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-LongitudeClick here for an explanation of Position Type.: 49°30'00''N, 122°25'00''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
DatumClick here for an explanation of Datum.: NAD83
NTS MapClick here for an explanation of NTS Map.: 92G/8
Related MapClick here for an explanation of Related Maps.: 92G/10
92G/7
92G/8
92G/9
  Nearby names within
  

Origin Notes and History:

Golden Ears Park established per Order in Council 3835, 14 December 1967, being the southern projection of Garibaldi Park. Area expanded per OIC 1293, 16 April 1973, to include an additional 2,400 acres formerly part of Garibaldi Park. Area expanded per OIC 1267, 9 April 1974, the whole now containing 137,376 acres. Conversion of OIC to Statute designation, and area expanded per Bill 29: Park Amendment Act 1997, 23 July 1997, the whole now containing 56,360 ha. more or less. The area formerly known as Mount Judge Howay Park was amalgamated into Golden Ears Park per Bill 17-2000, Parks & Protected Areas Act, 29 June 2000; the whole now containing 62,540 ha. Boundary redescribed per Bill 74-2004: Miscellaneous Statutes Amendment Act, 21 October 2004; the whole now containing approximately 62,539 hectares.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Named for the Golden Ears, a prominent twin-peaked mountain within the park, whose local native name is "T'lagunna".
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office