Armstrong

Feature Type:City - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a city municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N of Vernon, Kamloops Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°26'54''N, 119°11'48''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82L/6

Origin Notes and History:

Armstrong (City) incorporated 31 March 1913, as a separate entity from Spallumcheen (District Municipality). Name confirmed 5 February 1951 by the Geographic Board on 82L/SW, as labelled on numerous BC maps since 1895.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Armstrong Post Office opened 1 July 1892, Daniel Rabbit, postmaster; located at the junction of the Sicamous-Okanagan Landing Branch of CPR, and the Kamloops-Kelowna Branch of CNR.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named in 1892 after Hector Armstrong of London, England, who was head of the firm of underwriters who negotiated the bonds of the Shuswap & Okanagan Railway; Mr. Armstrong was in BC for a brief period when the railway was under construction. (supplement to the 17th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 1922); compare with: Armstrong was named after William Heaton-Armstrong; in 1885 Heaton-Armstrong started a private bank and arranged a successful issue of bonds for the Shuswap & Okanagan Railway and visited [this place] which was named for him, in 1892. (City of Armstrong website, May 2004); also: The city was founded on land sold to the S&O by Robert Wood; Wood, Daniel Rabbit and E.C. Cargill were the first developers of the townsite (Armstrong Advertiser, Centennial Edition, 21 July 1992) See also the municipality's own website.

Source: included with note