Langford Station (Post Office & Railway Station) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Langford Station (Post Office) and Langford (Settlement) 1 May 1934 on National Defence sheet 415a, Victoria (Ottawa file OBF 1449); names confirmed 6 November 1934. Langford Station (Post Office) rescinded in the 1973 Supplement to the BC Gazetteer. Langford (Settlement) changed to Langford (Community) 31 January 1983 on 92B/5 and 92B/6. Incorporated as a District Municipality 8 December 1992, to be called District of Langford. Re-incorporated as a City Municipality per Order in Council 1021/2003, effective 1 December 2003. Boundaries extended per Letters Patent, 8 March 2017 by OIC 133/2017.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office