Origin Notes and History:
Galiano Island (Steamer Landing) adopted 3 May 1951 on C.3450 at 48º 53'- 123º 19'. Galiano Post Office relocated here (date not cited) and name subsequently changed to the dual form Sturdies Bay (Steamer Landing) - Galiano (Post Office) 1 October 1965 on C. 3452. Confirmed 29 May 1981 on 92B/4. Form of name changed to Sturdies Bay (Community) - Galiano (Post Office) 31 December 1982 on 92B/14. Dual name dismantled by Ottawa; BOTH to be labelled on BC maps.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office