Stuart Channel

Feature Type:Channel (3) - Narrow stretch of water connecting two bodies of water.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W of DeCourcy, Thetis and Penelakut Islands, Cowichan Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 48°59'06''N, 123°43'30''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92B/13
Related Maps: 92B/13
92G/4

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 579, 1863 et seq.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named after Captain Charles Edward Stuart (1817-1863) some time in charge of the Hudson's Bay Company post at Nanaimo.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The 1930 BC Gazetteer inexplicably contains the entry: "Canal de Haro (see Stuart Channel)" but there is no evidence in BC files that Canal de Haro/Haro Strait was ever applied this far north.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Sansum Channel was the Hudson's Bay Company name for the Stuart Channel. (from SHALE: Journal of the Gabriola Historial & Museum Society; Nick Doe editor)

Source: included with note