Deadwood

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W of Greenwood, between Grand Forks and Osoyoos, Similkameen Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°06'00''N, 118°42'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82E/2

Origin Notes and History:

Deadwood (settlement) adopted 6 October 1955 on 82E/SE as identified in Mining records since the early 1890s. Form of name changed to Deadwood (locality) and coordinates adjusted 3 April 1959 on 82E/SE, to the location shown on Geological Survey sheet 828, Boundary Creek Mining District, 1905, and on BC maps 1EM, 1915, and 4K, 1923.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Deadwood Mining Company operated here, establishing a mining camp c1891, in turn named after a mining camp in the American Cordillera [likely Deadwood in South Dakota's Black Hills, or possibly one of several California mining camps named Deadwood]. Deadwood Post Office was opened 1 August 1900, John Hambly postmaster; closed 31 December 1922. At the time of closing, the Deadwood Post Office was located on Lot 18, Block 19, Tp 79, Yale District. Not identified in BC Mines Reports after 1929. Six people living here at the time of the 1951 Census. See also Victoria Colonist, Islander section, 20 September 1964, pp 12-14.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office