Origin Notes and History:
Deadman Island adopted 7 December 1937 on 92G/6, as labelled on Provincial Map 5B, 1929, and as identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer; not "Deadman's Island" as spelled on British Admiralty Chart 922, 1893 et seq, and on BC map 2B, 1914.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
"Called Deadman's Island by early settlers because the Indians put their dead there (Memaloose, meaning Dead Man's Village), usually on scaffolds or shelves up in the trees. It was also the burial place of some of the early non-Indian residents of Burrard Inlet, the nearest proper cemetery being at New Westminster, until Mountainview [cemetery] opened in 1887."
Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions