Origin Notes and History:
Adopted 14 January 1946 on C.3413, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 572, 1858.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Named in 1858 by Captain Richards, RN, after Alexander Grant Dallas, the representative of the Hudson's Bay Company on the Pacific Coast, 1857-61, with headquarters at Victoria, where he arrived from London, via Panama, Fort Vancouver and Nisqually, 7 May 1857. He was not a chief factor of the company as has been supposed, but as he says himself in a letter ... was a director thereof (one of the committee) and president of the council in North America. In such capacity he took an active part on behalf of the company's extensive interests on San Juan Island in the dispute with the United states concerning the ownership of that island after its unwarrantable occupation without notice by a detachmentt of United States troops in August 1859 ... his letters [published in Sir Edward Watkin's "Canada and the United States" ch. XV ] show an exceptional knowledge of the errors made in the submission of the British case to the arbitration of the German Emperor who gave his award in favour of the United States, 21 October 1872. After the death of Sir George Simpson in September 1860, Dallas succeeded to the high office of governor of Rupert's Land, with headquarters at Fort Garry, where he arrived 18 May 1862, and whence he departed for England 17 May 1864 under a salute of twenty-one guns from the fort. He married Jane, second daughter of Governor Douglas 9 March 1858. Died in England 2 January 1882. Also Dallas Mountain on San Juan Island, and Dallas Road in Victoria.
Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)