BC Geographical Names

Name Details:

Name: Abbotsford
Feature TypeClick here for a list of
Feature Types.
:
City - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated under the provincial Municipal Act
StatusClick here for an explanation of Status.: Official
Relative Location: S side of Fraser River, between Langley and Chilliwack, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-LongitudeClick here for an explanation of Position Type.: 49°03'08''N, 122°19'45''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
DatumClick here for an explanation of Datum.: NAD83
NTS MapClick here for an explanation of NTS Map.: 92G/1
  Nearby names within
  

Origin Notes and History:

Abbotsford was incorporated as a Village Municipality 22 February 1924. "Abbotsford, not Abbottsford" adopted in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 May 1924. Amalgamated with Sumas District Municipality, and together re-incorporated as Abbotsford District Municipality 17 November 1972. Amalgamated with District Municipality of Matsqui, and together re-incorporated as City of Abbotsford per Letters Patent effective 1 January 1995.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
First labelled on John Charles Maclure's map, deposited 9 July 1891. Abbottsford Post Office was opened 1 January 1892, Frank Munro postmaster; spelling adjusted to Abbotsford Post Office 1 November 1922.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Village of Abbotsford: 160 acres (1/4 Section) at incorporation in 1924. Original municipal hall located at 2420 Montrose Ave. Amalgamated with District of Sumas in 1972 and the new District of Abbotsford municipal hall located at 33914 Essendene Ave; relocated to former Fraser Valley College facility at 34194 Marshall Rd in 1983. Amalgamated with District of Matsqui in 1995 and the new Abbotsford City Hall established in the existing Matsqui municipal hall facility at 32315 South Fraser Way. (February 2013 advice from GIS/Facility Planning and Heritage specialists, City of Abbotsford)
Source: included with note
Named after Harry Braithwaite Abbott (1829-1915). Born at Abbotsford, Quebec, the son of the Rev. J and Harriet Abbott. He entered the service of the CPR in 1882, as manager of construction of the Sault Ste. Marie branch; superintendent of CPR construction westward 1884-86; general superintendent CPR Pacific Division 1886-97 (from: BC Yearbook by R.E. Gosnell, 1911, and Who's Who in Western Canada, 1911.)
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office